Good day, sustainable globetrotters!
Welcome to Part 2 – by the way, you can find Part 1 here!
Before we dive into the tips, let me introduce you to two inspiring examples from the Best Western hotel chain that impress with their commitment to the environment. These hotels demonstrate that sustainability in the hospitality industry is achievable and can make a positive contribution to protecting our environment.
Best Western goes green
The Best Western Premier Hotel Victoria in Freiburg is a true showcase when it comes to environmental protection.
With an energy rooftop garden, solar panels, and wind turbines generating enough power for all hotel rooms, they demonstrate how renewable energy can be utilized in the hospitality sector. The owners, Astrid and Bertram Späth, are dedicated environmentalists and champion sustainability in all aspects of hotel operations. For more information on sustainability at the Best Western Premier Hotel Victoria, click here!
“For more information and a glimpse behind the scenes, check out our podcast – ‘Wherever Life Takes You’ – in Episode 18!
The Best Western Plus Ostseehotel Waldschlösschen in Prerow also excels with its eco-friendly initiatives. They operate a combined heat and power plant, maintain a pig farm for sustainable food supply, and have a ‘chicken hotel’ for fresh breakfast eggs. The hotel has even been honored with the Gold Environmental Award and certified as a sustainable hotel.
You can find more information about the Best Western Plus Ostseehotel Waldschlösschen in our podcast, Episode 22, as well as here!
Tips for sustainable travel
These hotels prove that sustainability and comfort can go hand in hand. But how can we, as travelers, contribute to making our trips more environmentally friendly? Here are some personal tips for traveling sustainably:
- Use public transportation or carpool. Whenever possible, avoid driving alone. Use public transportation or organize carpooling with other travelers. This not only saves money but also reduces CO2 emissions.
- Look for local products and culinary delights. Support the local economy and try regional specialties. This not only benefits the environment but also enhances your travel experience.
- Travel light and environmentally conscious. Pack only the essentials and avoid single-use plastic. Use reusable water bottles and bags to minimize waste.
- Stay in eco-friendly accommodations. As the examples of Best Western hotels demonstrate, there are increasingly more eco-friendly lodging options. These accommodations rely on renewable energy, eco-friendly cleaning products, and sustainable practices.
- Respect the local nature and culture. Be a responsible tourist and show respect for the environment and local culture. Leave no litter behind and show interest in the customs and traditions of your destination.
- Share your experiences and encourage others to travel sustainably. Share your travel adventures and demonstrate how sustainability can be put into practice. Inspire friends and family to travel green as well.
I hope these tips help you make your next trip a more sustainable and environmentally friendly adventure. Remember that every small step towards sustainability can make a big difference, and we all have the responsibility to protect our beautiful world.
In that spirit, let’s explore the world and do our best to preserve it. Green travel isn’t just an option; it’s a commitment to nature and future generations.
Wishing you all a fantastic journey, and remember to stay green!